K-8 School District Response To Unexcused Absences During the School Year That Count Toward Truancy
The following timelines will define the Sparta School District's plan to communicate and assist with truancy concerns.
- 4 cumulative unexcused absences for the first notification
- 9 cumulative unexcused absences for the second notification
- 10 or more unexcused absences the student is truant pursuant to NJSA 18A:38-27 and must be referred to the court program
“An unexcused absence that counts toward truancy” is a student’s absence from school for a full or a portion of a day for any reason that is not an “excused absence” as defined below.
“An excused absence” is a student’s absence from school for a full day or a portion of a day for the observance of a religious holiday pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:36-14 through 16, or any absence for the reasons listed below:
- The student’s illness supported by verbal notification or a written letter from the parent upon student’s return to school
- The student's required attendance in court;
- Where appropriate, when consistent with Individualized Education Programs, the Individuals with Disabilities Act, accommodation plans under 29 U.S.C. §§ 794 and 705(20), and individualized health care plans;
- The student’s suspension from school;
- Family illness or death supported by a written letter from the parent upon the student’s return to school;
- Visits to post-secondary educational institutions;
- Interviews with a prospective employer or with an admissions officer of an institution of higher education;
- Examination for a driver's license;
- Necessary and unavoidable medical or dental appointments that cannot be scheduled at a time other than the school day;
- Take Our Children to Work Day
- An absence considered excused by a New Jersey Department of Education rule;
- An absence for a reason not listed above, but deemed excused by the Principal upon a written request by the student’s parent stating the reason for the absence and requesting permission for the absence to be an excused absence
Please use PickUp Patrol to report your child absent no later than 8 AM on the day of the absence.