About Mohawk Avenue School
Mohawk Avenue School was completed in 1935 and was then called The Sparta Grade School. It had
10 rooms, an auditorium, playroom and lunchroom. When the school first opened there were 330
students taught by nine teachers. In 1950, they added nine classrooms, a gym, and facilities for
home economics and manual training. The school transitioned to a junior high school in 1963.
When Sparta Middle School was built in 1999, Mohawk Avenue became a grade 5 building.
During the redistricting process in 2010, the school was closed. In the fall of 2012, the school
opened its doors to PreK and Kindergarten students. Since 2015 the school has been a grade
3 school. Mohawk Avenue School also houses the Board of Education.