Welcome to Special Services
"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today." ~ Stacia Tauscher
Director, Special Services
- Assumes responsibility for the management of the special education program in accordance with law, administrative code and Board policies and regulations.
- Exercises leadership for the child study team.
- Monitors the home instruction program.
- Assumes responsibility for the management of special education services for all students placed by their parents in a non-public school located in Sparta.
- Participates in the development, evaluation and revision of curriculum as it relates to students with special needs.
- Conducts periodic observations of assigned staff members; prepares written comments; and offers constructive suggestions for improvement when appropriate.
- Prepares and submits the special services budget.
- Coordinates state and federal grants pertaining to special education.
- Monitors the preschool handicapped program.
- Works closely with the Principals and staff members in elevating the awareness level regarding students with special needs.
- Makes recommendations regarding out-of-district student placements.
- Works closely with special education parents as per state/federal guidelines and Board policy.
- Provides district leadership when parental challenges arise over special education issues.
- Keeps the Superintendent informed of special education issues and possible solution strategies.
- Assumes responsibility for his/her continuing professional growth and development by attendance at professional meetings, memberships in professional organizations, enrollment in advanced courses and by reading professional journals and other publications.
- Ensures the proper collection and maintenance of student records.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned by the Superintendent, Board, or required by law, code, regulation/Board policy.